In today’s post, we will focus on vital behaviors that impact oral health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two vital habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is necessary for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are harmful to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar generates the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can break teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is wiser to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, speak with Doctor Bateman about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder—seek professional help right away. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We urge all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that maintains dental health as well as overall physical health. At Bateman Aesthetic and Restorative Dentistry, we serve the Lehi area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about dental implants, dental veneers, teeth whitening, and orthodontics.
Contact Bateman Aesthetic and Restorative Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
2961 W Maple Loop Dr.